jueves, 28 de febrero de 2008

"London Bridge is falling down"


I use this game to revise vocabulary.

I choose two kids that will be the bridge - they stand face to face, put their hands together and raise them - and the rest of the children line up to one side of the bridge. We start singing "London Bridge" - just one verse- and when we say: "...my fair lady", the bridge falls down (the children making the bridge put their hands down) and capture a child between their arms. I show this child a flashcard and ask him or her for the word. If they get it right he/she joins the line again, if the child doesn't get it right, he/she joins the bridge (I usually ask the kids in the original bridge if they would like to join the line or stay as the bridge).

The children that walk under the bridge without getting captured go to the back of the line again and continue playing.

We continue playing, until we've asked some words.

My students really enjoy this game, and I never really stopped to teach them the song, they learned it along the way. You will see how soon the children start singing with you.

I've tryed to play it with the 3-year-olds, but they find it hard to understand that they have to go to the back of the line once they passed the bridge. But with 4 and 5 year-olds the game goes smoothly.


No hay comentarios: